dcml-frame message

Subject: RE: [dcml-frame] Meeting info

Hi Fred,

Just to note that your scheme fits into my proposal at some level, as
XML is used to exchange models defined using some OO modeling language.
But the proposal is open to diverse approaches, based on the existing
"Semantic Web" modeling as a unifying abstraction tool.

I agree we could define such a single model, or leverage one of several
existing standards, but a framework based on ontologies would be able to
handle more than one such language - opening the door to others.

Which leads me to the question that I think the first action requested
answered. Exactly how is UML to be used here? XMI (and MOF) seems to be
overly sophisticated (express general "programming" OO models) and if we
(or others sub-set UML encoded as XML) don't we just invent our own
language?

This, I claim, would not be too different to the "Class, SubClassOf,
instanceOf, Property" language I mentioned in the proposal. But I would
not force all user of DCML to use this exact modeling approach (not very
rich).

On the other hand, if we have a concrete single proposal for a data
center modeling language based on reuse of an existing management
standard then DCML as framework may also be in danger of too much
overlap with the existing std (if it is to be the only one supported).

Regards,
Andre