dcml-frame message

Subject: RE: [dcml-frame] Definition of Process Subgroup

Hello Fred,

I outlined both Services and Processes as target points.  Configuration Management is a Process under ITIL, and as such directly in the purview of the DCML efforts for creating interfaces to.  In the Enterprise Management space (which I deal with daily), the mapping of processes, services, and capabilities with interfaces must be achieved in various manners, so as we look to approach both Services AND Processes for the sake of taking the most prescriptive intelligence on a service or particular process (in our case, the IT Process Frameworks are where we're initially focused, and we'll work our way UP from that) – so, IMHO, I think we're looking to formulate baseline process engineering and requirements for processes and services, and in particular, direct reference implementations of processes on specific process frameworks, beginning with ITIL and in parallel SOA.

And, since I'm looking for the group to discover/verify/document the generally approved best practices as defined by SMEs in an area (Robin, EDS ITIL SMEs, and input from the itSMF, OGC, and so forth – who BTW should be able to certify/verify such information) – which are then to be used by the Interfaces/Implementation subgroup for codification – the exercise is not to be done in a vacuum.  I don’t think we're trying to provide an ISV with their OWN personal implementation of a domain-based tool, but a prospective choreographer or orchestrator WILL use the RIs we provide as a starting point – which is what we should strive to achieve.  In addition, the ITIL framework is a best practice of IT Service management processes, but its NOT the only one, even in the IT Space.  its just a very dominant one in the industry now, and therefore makes a lot of sense to provide RIs for a good starting point for the industry.  From my experience with clients and implementers, it will be WELL received if we do…

Regards,

jDT

J. Darrel Thomas

Distinguished SE

Chief Technologist, Datacenter Services Portfolio

Electronic Data Systems Corporation

5400 Legacy Drive

Mail Stop H3-5A-34

Plano, Texas  75024

972-797-9695 (Office)

972-679-5943 (Cell)

Darrel.Thomas@EDS.Com (Email)

"Of all the things I've  lost, the one I miss the most is my mind..."

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.