dipal-discuss message

Subject: RESULTS: Straw poll on how to move forward with a domain-independentpolicy assertions language

Colleagues,

The results of the straw poll on how to move forward with
standardization of a domain-independent policy assertions language are
appended.  This is the last day this discussion list will be active.

There does not seem to be enough support to try to standardize a
domain-independent policy assertions language at this time.

One of the anonymous respondents from a major vendor said, "It is my
feeling that there will be no broad uptake of a DIPAL until there is
substantial real world experience with the shortcomings of the WS-Policy
approach...  I am sure we will need it eventually, but it could easily
be 10 years or more down the road."  Another anonymous correspondent
from a major vendor (who did not vote) indicated overriding concerns
with the adequacy of the WS-Policy framework itself, and not just with
the Assertions.  Several other correspondents who did not vote indicated
a DIPAL was worth standardizing, but that they did not have resources
available to work on it.

Thanks to everyone for an interesting discussion and for many thoughtful
comments.  I would appreciate hearing about future developments related
to policies of any kind in any industry or standards groups.

Regards,
Anne Anderson

STRAW POLL ON DOMAIN-INDEPENDENT POLICY ASSERTION LANGUAGE

Note: There are 65 list subscribers, representing 28 companies plus a
small number of academic institutions

A. In your personal opinion, if a domain-independent web services policy
assertion language such as WS-PolicyConstraints became a standard, would
it probably be used by some other standards, industry consortia, or
applications?  In other words, is it worth standardizing?  A "YES"
answer does not mean you or your organization would necessarily use it
or implement it, but that you think it is likely to be used by other
standards or within the industry.

    YES: 6
       Paul OConnor <poconnor@e-brilliance.com>
       Rajesh Koilpillai <rajesh@infravio.com> Infravio
       Anne Anderson <Anne.Anderson@sun.com> Sun
       3 anonymous
    NO: 1 (not at this time) anonymous

B. If a new OASIS TC were formed to develop and standardize a
domain-independent web services policy assertion language such as
WS-PolicyConstraints, would you or your organization participate?

    YES - active participation: 3
       Rajesh Koilpillai <rajesh@infravio.com> Infravio
       Anne Anderson <Anne.Anderson@sun.com> Sun
       1 anonymous
    YES - observer: 3
       Paul OConnor <poconnor@e-brilliance.com> (moving to participant)
       2 anonymous
    NO: 1 (probably not) anonymous

C. Would you (or your organization) participate in the XACML TC to
standardize a Web Services Policy Profile of XACML along the lines of
WS-PolicyConstraints?

    YES - active participation: 1
       Anne Anderson <Anne.Anderson@sun.com> Sun
    YES - observer: 5
       Paul OConnor <poconnor@e-brilliance.com> (moving to participant)
       Rajesh Koilpillai <rajesh@infravio.com> Infravio
       3 anonymous
    NO: 1 anonymous

Regards,
Anne
Sun Microsystems Laboratories
1 Network Drive,UBUR02-311     Tel: 781/442-0928
Burlington, MA 01803-0902 USA  Fax: 781/442-1692