Subject: Re: [dita-comment] Section titles

The intention was that only one should be used, but unfortunately it is not possible to implement that in DTD syntax. The section element allows plain text, and any element that allows plain text cannot enforce an order or number within a DTD. If DTDs did not have that limitation, then it would have been written so that title was an optional first element (as with other titled items like <fig> and <table>. The text of the specification is considered authoritative, so the "optional title" should be taken to mean that you should only use one, even when the DTD allows more.

This question has come up before, so at today's Technical Committee meeting we decided that the DITA 1.3 specification (currently in early editing phases) should clarify the language and make a note of the DTD limitation in the topic about the section element.

Thanks -

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)

Inactive hide details for Debbie Gale ---01/16/2014 09:57:17---Hi I have a query about how many title elements are allowed insiDebbie Gale ---01/16/2014 09:57:17---Hi I have a query about how many title elements are allowed inside a section?

From: Debbie Gale <Debbie.Gale@arm.com>
To: "dita-comment@lists.oasis-open.org" <dita-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>,
Date: 01/16/2014 09:57
Subject: [dita-comment] Section titles

Hi
I have a query about how many title elements are allowed inside a section?
The DTD seems to allow multiple but your text in the short description seems to suggest one:
“…A section may have an optional title.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/cd04/spec/langref/section.html
Regards
Debbie
Debbie Gale

Principal Infrastructure Developer
Technical Communications
ARM Limited

110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge, CB1 9NJ, UK

E:
Debbie.Gale@arm.com
T: +44 1223 406031
F: +44 1223 400410
Global Ext: 22031
Skype: arm_debbiegale

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2548782