Subject: SCORM templates and DITA learning objects

Dear DITA learning sub-committee,

Based on our discussions, and particularly the input from Bill Blackmon about the IMS SCORM templates, I've started a wiki page that starts to map out the connection between these templates and the DITA learning objects map domain.

See - http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/LearningContent/map2manifest_templates and http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/LearningContent/map2manifest.

This is still in draft, but I wanted to bring it to your attention in advance of our Thursday meeting.

In particular, I highly recommend taking a look at the templates available here - http://www.jointadlcolab.org/downloads/research/2005/assessments/learner_assessment_bpguide_final.pdf.

There's more narrative about them here - http://141.225.40.64/lsal/expertise/projects/developersguide.

(both these links are at the top of the wiki page, as well)

My conclusion so far is that we have a very good and direct "starter kit" mapping from a DITA learning object to Template 4: Multiple SCO's with Assets. Then we need to discuss how far we can go in the way of supporting one or more of the Templates 5-10.

Again, thanks to Bill Blackmon for his valuable input to this discussion. (Bill is one of the leads who developed the SCORM templates, and has been attending the last several sub-committee meetings to provide inputs to our discussions on DITA - SCORM processing approaches.)

John
John Hunt
DITA Architect / Lotus Information Development Center
Chair, OASIS DITA learning and training content sub-committee
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
phone: 617.245.8053
john_hunt@us.ibm.com