Subject: Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] Another spec question - about code phrases

Thanks for providing the historic rationale for the current status, Mark. Which is something I have to rely on as I came late to the committees.

I second your reasoning and we should put it on the agenda and ideally reach a decision to include it.

And thanks for the question, Robert!

f.

Från: dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org> för Mark Giffin <mark@markgiffin.com>
Skickat: Saturday, November 12, 2022 9:19:53 PM
Till: dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

This is a good point Robert. We included <pre> and its MDITA equivalent ```code block```, but that is a block element. Most likely the reason for not including an explicit <codeph> equivalent in MDITA was a general favoring of greater simplicity. But I now think that not including it was a mistake.

My reasoning is that MDITA is based on the CommonMark spec, and that spec includes the use of single backticks for this purpose here:

https://spec.commonmark.org/0.30/#code-spans

Because it's in the spec MDITA is based on, it should be supported. You might say that not including this in a tool is an inadvertent mistake on the part of the tool maker, because it's part of the CommonMark spec even if it's not explicit in the (upcoming) LwDITA spec. For this reason I think we should explicitly include it in the LwDITA spec.

Mark