Subject: RE: LwDITA and <data> elements in <prolog>

This topic has been brought to the TC for discussion today.

Not repeating the course of the discussion (you can probably read it in the minutes then), but the consensus is the following:

<data> is not an appropriate element for LwDITA to use to convey metadata that is rendered in output.

Instead the TC suggests <othermeta> for that purpose.

I’ll put it on the agenda for our next meeting and like to ask you to think about this suggestion, or come up with an alternative that is also fully compatible with DITA.

Thanks,

f.

From: dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Kristen James Eberlein
Sent: Thursday, 22 December 2022 20:41
To: dita-lightweight-dita (dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org) <dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: DITA Technical Committee (dita@lists.oasis-open.org) <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [dita-lightweight-dita] LwDITA and <data> elements in <prolog>

I’m aware of a problems with how LwDITA wants to use the <data> element.

Based on the content in the current draft LwDITA spec, the <data> element is used (in the context of the prolog) to provide metadata that applies to the topic as a whole. If this metadata is expected to be used for the benefit of authoring only, then there is not a problem.

But if the metadata stored in the <data> elements is expected to be rendered as the result of publishing, then there is a problem.

The “Rendering expectations” section for the <data> element in the draft 2.0 spec and the draft LwDITA spec clearly state the following:

Best,

Kris

Kristen James Eberlein
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Owner, Eberlein Consulting LLC
kris@eberleinconsulting.com

Skype: kriseberlein; voice: +1 (919) 622-1501

Software AG – Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstraße 12, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany – Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 1562 - Vorstand/Management Board: Sanjay Brahmawar (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Daniela Bünger, Joshua Husk, Dr. Benno Quade, Dr. Stefan Sigg - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Christian Lucas - https://www.softwareag.com