Subject: RE: [dita-lightweight-dita] Please look at my @compact bug comment before I post it

I'd be a bit more careful about using an empty attribute data-compact. Traditionally, HTML DTDs defined <ul compact> to mean <ul compact="compact">, but the current HTML spec (https://html.spec.whatwg.org/#attributes-2) assumes an empty value instead. However, we want to stick to the @compact values as defined in full DITA, and this means "yes" or "no". We should better not open the field for any other interpretation, and leave out the empty attribute construct.

f.

-----Original Message-----
From: dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Mark Giffin
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2023 11:27 PM
To: dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Please look at what I plan to ask the DITA OT devs about this bug on the
HTML5 @compact attribute.

This is the bug:
https://github.com/dita-ot/dita-ot/issues/4298

This will be my comment (below), did I get it right?

Thanks,
Mark
------------------
Comment:

I have a request on this. Today in the Lightweight DITA Subcommittee we decided to add the attribute @data-compact to the HTML5 flavor of Lightweight DITA (aka HDITA), instead of adding a fixed @class value of "compact". Can we get you to use @data-compact or @data-compact="yes"
instead of the @class syntax above?

You could handle this in HTML and CSS like this:

HTML5:
<ul class="ul" data-compact>

HTML5 XML syntax ("XHTML"):
<ul class="ul" data-compact="yes">