dita-s1000d-discuss message

Subject: Interoperability Scenarios

Based on Scott's response to Denny's question below, I would like to suggest that we jointly come up with some useful and meaningful scenarios (or use cases) regarding "interoperability," because this is another overloaded terms in the IT world today which can mean a lot of different things to different people.  For example, I recall hearing an IBM presentation on DITA, which talks about being able to share a substantial amount of content with their OEM suppliers as one of the primary business case for DITA.  In this case, I assume that interoperability is referring to the ability to process content delivered by suppliers with little or no conversion.  So, if that is true, we can perhaps come up with some similar scenarios for S1000D when content is being shared between partners/contractors in the aerospace/defense industry.  And they will help define the requirements for DITA-S1000D interoperability.

Regards,

Scott Tsao
Enterprise Architecture and Integration
The Boeing Company

From: Scott Hudson <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com>
To: "Raitz, Dennis H" <dennis.h.raitz@boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:20:55 -0700

Hi Dennis,

this effort is to discuss the potential mappings between S1000D and DITA
content models to promote interoperability of content between the two
standards.

My hope is that there is a strong enough correlation, that we can
recommend the formation of a TC to develop an interoperability framework
or to form an SC on the DITA TC at OASIS to produce a DITA
specialization of S1000D tags.

I think the discussion on the list will provide an excellent starting
point for a TC or SC to produce an official standard work product.

Best regards,

--Scott