dita-s1000d-discuss message

Subject: Re: [dita-s1000d-discuss] Two Approaches to DITA/S1000D Integration

Hi Scott,

Based on feedback received previously on this list, there does not appear to be sufficient interest or business case to form a full Technical Committee to address full interoperability between S1000D and DITA.

That said, there is sufficient interest to create a DITA SubCommittee to address the creation of an S1000D Data Module Specialization of DITA to facilitate reuse of content between the standards at that level. I would like to solicit anyone on this list that would be interested in helping to develop that specialization.

Another approach that has been suggested is to create a set of transforms to convert more granular and reusable DITA content to a compliant S1000D DM form.

This forum is technically only available for 90 days, according to OASIS rules. Any further technical discussions regarding these approaches will have to be carried out on the DITA SC list unless another public forum is created elsewhere.

Best regards,

--Scott

Tsao, Scott wrote:
It was very interesting to read this article from DCL News: http://www.dclab.com/scorm_s1000d_dita.asp

In particular, the article suggested that there are two approaches to DITA/S1000D integration: (as I understand from the text)
  • Specializing DITA topic type for S1000D data module types
  • Using DITA to create and assemble more granular and reusable content that can be used for downstream deliverables (to be compliant to a particular vocabulary, e.g., S1000D, SCORM, etc.)
I wonder if folks on this list could elaborate further on those approaches, and the future direction this forum is likely to take.

Thanks,

Scott Tsao

Boeing IT Architecture and Information Management

begin:vcard
fn:Scott Hudson
n:Hudson;Scott
org:Flatirons Solutions
adr:Suite 200;;4747 Table Mesa Drive ;Boulder;CO;80305;USA
email;internet:scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com
title:Consultant
tel;work:303-542-2146
tel;fax:303-544-0522