Subject: A spot of bother in the content model for troubleshooting

Hi,

The stylesheet-supplied, string method is sufficient for troubleshooting topics that contain a single cause-remedy pair (simple troubleshooting topics). But, in topics that contain two or more cause-remedy pairs (complex troubleshooting topics), the author is left with no good way to distinguish them from each other through labeling. At a minimum, the titles for the causes need to signal the essence of each cause.

You can make a case a title is also needed for remedy in complex troubleshooting topics, whenever remedy appears without an associated cause. For example, a common final fallback would be a stand-alone remedy such as this:

<remedy>
  <title>Contact technical support</title>
  <steps-unordered>
  </steps-unordered>
</remedy>

I am sorry to raise this objection at this point. However, I don't think that the current model fully supports complex troubleshooting information without this change.

Best Regards,

--
Bob Thomas
+1 720 201 8260