Subject: Meeting Minutes 6/8/2004 -- DITA Technical Committee

Meeting Minutes 6/8/2004 -- DITA Technical Committee

*** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***

** Agenda **
------------
    1. Roll call

    2. Review/approve minutes from 18 May
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200405/msg00034.html

    3. Report on W3C Workshop on Web Services and Compound Documents
       (Erik Hennum)

    4. Assess the DITA Briefings (review sessions 1-3); start
       listing issues for upcoming specification prep.

    5. New "dita-users" forum -- discuss how to move toolkit
       discussions, etc. to this forum.

    6. AOB?

** Minutes **
-------------
    1. Roll call
        - Voting Members: 9 out of 19; not a quorum
            Mary McRae
            Michael Priestley
            France Baril
            Seraphim Larsen
            Frank Peters
            Bruce Esrig
            Bruce Sesnovich
            Sharon Veach
            Don Day

        - Observers and guests:
            Scott Tsao
            Erik Hennum

        - Prospective Members: (will let attendance count towards
          their membership qualifications)
            Shawn Jordan
            Mike Wethington
            Rob Frankland

        - We do NOT have a quorum, so we can't make any decisions
          today.

    2. Review/approve minutes from 18 May
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200405/msg00034.html
        - Can't approve, no quorum
        - We did review action items - all outstanding items were
          completed.

    3. Report on W3C Workshop on Web Services and Compound Documents
       (Erik Hennum)
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200406/msg00016.html

        - The conference was about interaction and rendering,
          getting different pieces of the web application story to
          work together.  DITA was thus not central to the theme of
          the workshop

        - But he did get lots of interest and many interesting
          questions --
            - What's the relationship of conref and conkeyref to XML
              Fragment Interchange?

            - How does DITA manage the timing of refreshing conrefs?
              Does DITA keep a snapshot of the last refresh so the
              content can be displayed if the remote resource isn't
              available?

            - How does DITA resolve discrepancies in
              processing/style when a map is aggregating topics from
              someone else that has their own styling?  What is the
              behavior of a DITA map in an environment like this?

            - What is the relationship of DITA semantics to RDF?

        - All in all, it was very worthwhile raising the DITA
          perspective to this audience

        - And it may be worthwhile to stay in touch with W3C --
          there are interesting developments there that may be of
          interest to us, particularly with regard to changing the
          browser model

        - Question: Did Erik get any contacts of people with whom we
          might work in the future?  Answer: No, it was too tightly
          focused on Web applications.

        - Bruce Esrig -- Interested in the comment that if someone
          is using your content and you aren't aware of it.  This is
          not just a technical problem but also a "social" problem.
          People should be informed if their content is being used,
          and you should work together to resolve issues.

          Discussion: Michael answered to this in terms of
          specialization.  Basically, it's something we need to
          revisit after we do the "Specialization" briefing so we
          can have a more informed discussion.

        - Bruce Esrig -- When you construct a map, it's another way
          you are bringing information together.  When you do this,
          what is the influence on the content?  How does
          specialization interact with maps?  Answer: Don -- The map
          can invoke style overrides per the individual topics.
          Michael -- You shouldn't keep style information in the
          map.  Don -- Let's log this issue as coming out of the
          maps briefing, and try to prioritize a solution.

    4. Assess the DITA Briefings (review sessions 1-3); start
       listing issues for upcoming specification prep.

        - Issue from Briefing #2 (topics and maps): How does
          specialization interact with maps?  (see question from
          Bruce Esrig, above)

        - Issue: Slides must be made available well before the
          meeting starts, so people can get to them in time.

        - Comment: WebEx was a lot easier to use than SameTime.  But
          IBM can offer SameTime.  So, we will continue using both.

        - Comment from Scott Tsao: Include Erik's presentation
          from JoAnn Hackos' conference as part of Briefing #3 (DITA
          processing).  Don will discuss with Erik offline.

        - Don: Do we need to spend time developing one or more
          representative processing scenarios?  Seraphim thinks it
          would be helpful.

        - Don: As a committee, do we need to spend time discussing the
          processing models?  Bruce Esrig, Rob Franklin -- Yes, we
          need to have something to show to our local processing
          people.  Don: Should this be concurrent with developing
          the specification, or should be done afterwards?
          Bruce/Rob: It can be done afterwards.

        - Eric from BMC: Useful to have a mechanism to submit
          questions in advance, to be covered in subsequent
          briefings.  Don will put out all the rest of the briefing
          subjects, with a specific request for people to submit
          questions.

        - Bruce Sesnovich: With the ability to specialize, is there
          a potential for namespace conflicts?  (Two people creating
          two specializations off the same topic, but giving them
          the same name.)  Don wants to handle this as an issue to
          be handled with the other issues, with the help of Erik
          Hennum.  Don also has a pertinent URL that he will post to
          the list.

    5. New "dita-users" forum -- discuss how to move toolkit
       discussions, etc. to this forum.

        - Michael has opened a dita-users forum on Yahoo Groups.

        - How should we move the discussion there?
            - First of all, the Yahoo list is intended for USERS,
              whereas the TC list is intended for the group creating
              the specification.
            - Seraphim:  Post a summary of each briefing with URLs
              pointing to the presentations.

    6. AOB?
        - Not covered.

** Summary of Decisions **
--------------------------
    - No decisions made (no quorum)

** Action Required **
---------------------
    010 Eric Hennum -- Present W3C Compound Documents Paper at W3C
        (June 1-2 in San Jose, Calif.).
            - Done as of 6/8/04 - Eric did present and his report
              was sent to the TC list.

    011 Michael Priestley -- Provide URL for first briefing (to take
        place Tuesday May 25th)
            - Done as of 6/8/04

    012 All -- Invite people to attend May 25th briefing (but
        consolidate phone lines).
            - Done as of 6/8/04

    013 Michael Priestley -- Start "dita-users" group on Yahoo
        Groups.
            - Done as of 6/8/04

    014 Don Day -- Don will send out a list of all the remaining
        briefings subjects, with a specific request for people to
        submit questions ahead of time.

    015 Don Day -- Don to post a URL to the list, pertinent to the
        discussion of naming conflicts and namespaces.  (cf. Issue
        #002).

    016 Don Day -- Slides for the briefings must be made available
        well in advance, just in case people aren't able to connect
        to SameTime or WebEx.

** Issues to be Resolved **
---------------------------

    001 Bruce Esrik -- How does specialization interact with maps?

    002 Bruce Sesnovich -- How do we resolve name conflicts?  (E.g.
        two people create two different specializations off the same
        parent topic, but give them the same name).

<END>

Seraphim Larsen                  ICG Technical Publications
Sr. Technical Writer                      Intel Corporation
(480) 552-6504                                 Chandler, AZ

The content of this message is my personal opinion only.
Although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.