Subject: Re: xpointer

Hi, Paul:

My misunderstanding for posting instead of writing to the TC mailing list. (Thanks to Robin Cover for clarifying that it's okay for observers to correspond.)

Anyway, yes, the DITA pseudo-ID is not a formal DTD ID. It's unique only within the topic, not within the entire document. It makes sense for the ID to be unique within the topic because the topic is the unit of composition. Thus, the author can easily ensure uniqueness within that scope. More abstractly, the scoping of IDs to topics can be seen as an aspect of topic granularity and encapsulation. As noted before, the benefits are in avoiding broken references when the target of a reference persists but the tagging or content structure changes.

Thanks for the XPointer pointers,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com