Subject: Re: [dita] on (not) making changes to 1.0 [was: OASIS DITA TC: 13 July 2004 meeting reminder]

Hi, Paul:

I agree that the most important thing for DITA at this point is to establish
a public standard so a community can form around it.

In fact, we at IBM are of two minds about proposing a new feature at this
late date. We've done so only because this feature:

* Has virtually no impact on the existing structure, semantics, and processing exprectations.

* Is simple and self contained and thus can be discussed and disposed of quickly.

* Solves an important problem that several early adopters have run into (extensibility for metadata
and record-oriented data; for instance, a data specialization introduced via a domain could add
new metadata to all existing topics).

Thanks,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com