Subject: replacement for information type terminology?

Reworking the topic "Information types and domains" in the specialization section of the spec - now that we're getting rid of information type in favour of topic type, it underscores the fact that we have a slight awkwardness here, since we're really talking about top-down specialization (from maps and topics) versus sideways specialization (domains).

So, thinking of a title for the topic, we could go for:

Map types, topic types, and domain types
        - awkward, and doesn't really give the sense that it's the map and topic type versus the domain type

Structural specialization and domain specialization
        - captures the idea that information types and maps express the structure of a content unit while domains express semantics shared across content units: structural specialization produces new topic types or map types; domain specialization produces new domains for use across multiple map types or across multiple topic types.

I guess I'm kind of tending towards structural specialization, but I'm also aware that there is a cost to introducing more terminology, and I want to validate that the value of the new term would be worth it.

Other suggestions for an equivalent term are welcome - I just think saying "topic and map type specialization" every time we want to distinguish from domains is going to be awkward.

Michael Priestley
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com