Subject: RE: [dita] Fw: Internationalization and Localization in DITA

Team,
This sounds like a very positive development. We need to ensure that
DITA users are able to support their internationalization and
localization requirements. In many cases, these requirements are the
primary source of return on investment.

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
http://www.comtech-serv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Day [mailto:dond@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:42 PM
To: DITA TC list

Team,

I received the following note from Yves Savourel, on behalf of W3C
Internationalization activities, suggesting a possible, mutually
beneficial, liaison betwen our two activities.

As a list discussion point before we bring this note up in a future TC
meeting, should we consider a review of globalization aspects of DITA
within a Version 1 timeframe, or is this a Version 2 level of activity?

We should probably ask the same thing of Accessibility considerations
too,
but let's make that a separate note... Globalization has potentially
more
direct bearing on accomodations within the DITA language, and direct
impacts for authoring and processing.

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

        --T.S. Eliot
----- Forwarded by Don Day/Austin/IBM on 04/26/2005 10:26 PM -----

             "Yves Savourel"

             <ysavourel@transl

             ate.com>
                                       Don Day/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

             04/19/2005 11:14
cc
             AM

Subject
                                       Internationalization and

                                       Localization in DITA

Dear Don,

In the past weeks some members of the Internationalization Tag Set
Working
Group (http://www.w3.org/International/its) have been looking at the
current work done in the OASIS DITA Technical Committee with interest.

The ITS Working Group is a recent addition to the Internationalization
Activity at the W3C and is chartered (
http://www.w3.org/2004/11/i18n-recharter/its-charter) to create
guidelines
and a tags set to address internationalization and localization issues
in
XML.

We were very pleased to see that DITA was already implementing helpful
information for localization such as the translate attribute.

We also noticed that some internationalization aspects were maybe not
fully
covered. For example, the possibility to use directional overrides tags
for
bi-directional scripts, or to use Ruby text in Japanese and Chinese
content.

ITS is only at its early stages, and our first deliverable is a set of
requirements (due in May). So, we are not yet able to offer you official
documents that may help you make a review of DITA from the
internationalization and localization viewpoint. However, maybe one of
our
very early work documents could be of some help to you in that regard:
http://people.w3.org/rishida/localizable-dtds.

I was also wondering if someone in the DITA TC would be interested in
joining the ITS WG as well? This could help us both: For DITA, to make
sure
that all potential aspects of internationalization and localization
issues
are looked at and solutions work with DITA are found; and for ITS, to
make
sure that we cover all potential issues for XML documents with an
architecture similar to DITA's.

Please, let me know what you think.

Kind regards,
-yves

Yves Savourel
Localization Solutions Architect
ENLASO Corporation
T: 303-516-0857 x104 * F: 303-516-1701
E: ysavourel@translate.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization Tag Set Working Group