Subject: Protocol for specialization working groups

Indi Liepa asked me, What is the protocol for starting a DITA
telecommunications specialization working group.  Meanwhile, Seraphim has a
similar question for a semiconductor industry specialization that has
several interested parties already lined up.

The Charter for the DITA TC describes the community-building role for
promotion of DITA as a Standard:

   To encourage cooperation within and between the various topical domains
   of potential DITA users

   It is anticipated that, in addition to the common information elements
   provided in the base specification, specific communities of users may
   develop additional, specialized type hierarchies of particular relevance
   to their use cases. The TC may choose to recognize new information types
   or domain specializations where a new specialization provides a standard
   solution for a well-established need, has broad support, does not
   conflict with existing types, and serves as a useful base for additional
   specialization. For example, the concept, task, and reference
   information types do so for the user assistance community. The TC
   anticipates maintaining a set of core information types of general
   utility, implemented in schema languages (such as DTD or XML Schema)
   selected by the TC. Recognized types may also be maintained by other
   groups (including other OASIS TCs).

We need to start thinking about how to nurture and host these
specialization activities that are starting to spring forth. We need to
provide these teams with ideas about how to conduct a specialization
process. We must plan how we will use OASIS facilities (if feasible) for a
DITA Specialization Registry or other way to host specializations as
spinoffs of the DITA core activity. How should such activities be governed?
Should they report to the TC?  How can we help other such activities get
started?

Whew--the list could go on.  What are your thoughts about how the TC should
help instigate/guide/mentor these activities?

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee