Subject: RE: [dita] Groups - Simple glossary for DITA 1.1 (issue 14A) (Issue14a.html) uploaded

Hi, Chris:

Good to meet you as well (there ain't nothing like the real thing) though a pity that, as usual, the discussions happen on the run.

About building on the simple glossary in DITA 1.1 for more robust support of terminology concerns in DITA 1.2...

I'd suggest that, fundamentally, a glossary entry defines a key concept and associates it with a preferred label. From that perspective, glossary, taxonomy, and terminology concerns overlap as different uses of the same definition.

Rather than having to maintain a separate definition for each use, an adopter should be able to maintain one definition with many uses. (Consistent with the principle of separating presentation and content or, more generally, application and content.)

For example, if someone needs to identify the part-of-speech for the terms in their glossary definitions as an aid to guiding translation of those terms, they should have the option to do so in the DITA glossary definition instead of being forced to maintain a separate external definition for the term.

In other words an adopter should have the option to:

On the specifics of leveraging TBX / TMF standards for the DITA 1.2 glossary, we might consider three alternatives:

One tricky part would be avoiding property overlap with terminology standards and conceptual standards like SKOS.

Makes sense?

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for "Chris Wong" <cwong@idiominc.com>"Chris Wong" <cwong@idiominc.com>

          "Chris Wong" <cwong@idiominc.com>

          04/07/2006 01:02 PM

Erik Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS, <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

RE: [dita] Groups - Simple glossary for DITA 1.1 (issue 14A) (Issue14a.html) uploaded

Hi Erik. I'm glad to finally meet you in person at CMS2006. We talked
briefly about this, and I was wondering if you could elaborate on the
list the relationship between the glossary proposal and the existing
data-oriented TBX/TMF standard(s) that you referenced in the proposal. I
imagine there is a difference between a narrative-oriented standard like
DITA and something more data-oriented like TBX, and I'm wondering if
there is a way for them to complement each other.

Chris