Subject: Proposed changes to the xml:lang proposal

Hi all,

In order to tighten up some of the language in the proposal and address
concerns raised via email since last week's TC meeting, I'd like to
summarize the issues and suggest actions (or otherwise) for each item:

1. Removal of mention of contradictions between map and topic:
"In the case of a contradiction between the xml:lang value set on the map
and the xml:lang value set on the topic, the setting on the topic
overrides."
Based on responses on the list from Michael and Robert, as well as the
universal feeling of the SC members, this should not be changed. However,
Robert proposed a better phrasing for this which Paul G is OK with, so I
think we should change the above sentence to:
"If the xml:lang value on a topicref does not match the xml:lang value on a
topic, the value on the topic takes precedence."

2. "When reading XML markup that embeds scripts of different languages, the
embedded languages should be indicated via markup when the document is
saved." This sentence is still confusing, and should be rewritten as
follows:
"When an application writes (saves) a document that contains strings of
characters from different languages, the strings of each language should be
indicated via markup."
Thanks Paul G for pointing this one out. I changed your suggested text a
little.

Are you all OK with these changes? If no-one objects, I'll go ahead and make
these changes to the final proposal.

Best Regards,
Gershon

---
Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
http://www.tech-tav.com