Subject: RE: [dita] Formal Imagemaps

Hi Gershon - you're probably aware of this, but I wanted to point out that
it's not technically legal to specialize imagemap to allow a title (you
can't add an item that's not allowed in the original). If you share the
topics with any other users, they won't be able to process them.

Another option is to specialize a section to <fullimagemap> or some better
name. It can require one title and one imagemap. This would need to be a
specialization of the Utilities Domain, in order for it to legally use the
imagemap element. Maybe this is already what you're talking about. :-)

On the related subject of requiring titles in tables or figures - you can
create domain specializations of these elements and require a title (create
formaltable and formalfig). Some editors would then allow you to hide the
original table and fig elements. This is not a great or easy solution, but
is another possibility if your editor will not let you require the title in

I know of some user groups that wanted to enforce constraints like this by
requiring the shortdesc element. They added an override to their processing
pipeline, so that users were warned when the shortdesc was missing. Again,
not ideal, because it delays the enforcement, but you might want to use it
as an additional check.

One of the items already on the plate for 1.2 is "Constraints - restriction
without specialization (Issue #34) " - I'm pretty sure it is meant to
address this specific issue. Erik may wish to speak up to clarify that.
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/14936/Issue34.html)

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787

             "Gershon L
             Joseph"
             <gershon@tech-tav                                          To
             .com>                     Robert D
                                       Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS,
             05/10/2006 11:11          <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: [dita] Formal Imagemaps
             <gershon@tech-tav
                   .com>

Thanks Robert for this information. I'll just specialize <imagemap> then.
I'll make a note to add this to our future features list.

Best Regards,
Gershon