Subject: Re: FW: FW: [dita] indexing question

Hi, JoAnn and Bruce:

Regardless of whether an index entry is a point (as Chris suggests) or a span (an alternative view), an index entry clearly should never have an impact on flow. An index entry is an annotation on the content much like a metadata property.

So, I would disagree with the recommendation to treat the index entry as an inline if there is any implication of affecting the layout or the parsing of text. An index entry could appear in the middle of a word -- it shouldn't make any difference in the processing.

Regarding interpretation of an index entry based on its container, that applies to an index entry in the prolog. It should be interpretted based on the topic (which is the effective container of everything in the prolog). In particular, for an index entry in the prolog, the index is either a point attached to the start of the topic or a span covering the entire topic.

Even if the processing of index entries _were_ different in different contexts, I don't see that this would necessarily requires a different element name so long as the processing conforms to expectations.

On the range questions, we should keep in mind concerns about topic reuse. If we embed index start and end entries in different topics, we run the risk of breaking the range when the start and end topics are reused independently. That's part of the rationale for putting ranges in the map.

Thanks,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>"JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>

          "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>

          07/18/2006 07:24 AM

<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

"Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, "Chris Wong" <cwong@idiominc.com>

Subject

FW: FW: [dita] indexing question

Here is the suggestion I received from Bruce in response to Rodolfo’s clarification. I’m not certain that everyone has seen it.

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400