Subject: RE: [dita] inline elements in dita maps

Thanks, Erik, this is helpful.

I'm just a little confused, though, about both your and Robert's comments about <foreign>. As I posted a little earlier, you can get a simpletable into a map by putting it within note within desc within xref within q within shortdesc within topicmeta.

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with <foreign> or <data>. Instead, it appears to have to do with the fact that we allowed a lot more stuff in shortdesc.

So I'm not sure how your discussion below of <foreign> relates.

Specifically, regarding:

it would seem a waste of investment for an editor tool to support practices that the scheme would exclude if possible -- for instance, editing of structured text within <foreign>.

I'm left wondering if an editor tool should support practices for allowing the insertion of simpletable's in maps as I outline above, since this has nothing to do with editing of structured text within <foreign>.

paul

From: Erik Hennum [mailto:ehennum@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, 2006 August 14 20:08
To: Grosso, Paul
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi, Paul:

Regarding:

> Did we know we were doing this, or was this an unintended consequence of other decisions.

As Robert pointed out, the TC did discuss the potential for tag abuse with the <foreign> element. We decided that the benefits of extensible inclusion of standard vocabularies like LOM, MathML, SVG, XForms, ChemML, ebXML, and so on outweighed the risks.

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/19115/IssueNumber35.htm

For that reason, it would seem a waste of investment for an editor tool to support practices that the scheme would exclude if possible -- for instance, editing of structured text within <foreign>. Instead, I would think that an editor tool might do better to concentrate on functions like:

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com