Subject: Re: [dita] inline elements in dita maps

Hi Paul - that is a side effect of the new <data> element. It's really not
very easy to include those elements, but they are now technically a part of
the DTD.

The <data> element allows object as a child. We reuse the object element
from the topic definition. That in turn includes the <desc> element, which
opens the door to paragraphs, lists, etc. So the only way to include these
blocks is to place them in a desc, inside object, inside the data element,
which is (based on the specification) metadata that is ignored unless
specialized and associated with something.

Actually, because the foreign and unknown elements have a content model of
<any>, they also allow the DITA block elements. They too have a model of
"ignore unless specialized for something", so a specialization could easily
remove the DITA based elements. In fact, as Erik Hennum has pointed out to
me, a specialization of these should remove most DITA based elements in
favor of the actual foreign elements. (Erik may wish to follow up on that
thought).

There's a longer description of it here, on a wiki page I set up when first
creating the new 1.1 DTDs. It's under the description of
commonElements.mod:
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/New_design_patterns_for_1%2e1

I'm pretty sure it's come up on the list at some point, but I can't find it
in the archive at the moment...

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit