Subject: RE: [dita] high level translation BP questions

Hi Dana,

Thanks for raising this issue.

We discussed this exact issue at length on the translation subcommittee, and concluded that if we only address the DITA-specific issues, the best practice documents would not be useful to our target readers. In fact, they would most likely be useless to the general public they're aimed at. Therefore, we ensured they cover everything a reader who is not yet knowledgeable in these translation aspects will benefit from the best practice documents. The fact that a large part of the information applies equally to other DTDs is a byproduct of DITA being an XML DTD. Our target audience are users who are possibly new to XML, most likely new to XML-based documentation, and definitely unfamiliar with the process of translating XML-based documentation.

Best Regards,
Gershon

From: Dana Spradley [mailto:dana.spradley@oracle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 6:59 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dita] high level translation BP questions

Okay, I've taken a look at both these translation best practices documents now, and I have a high level observation and related questions.

Both would seem to apply to any XML DTD for the most part, not DITA specifically - maybe 90% is generic, 10% DITA specific.

Do we really want to put out TC documents that apply so broadly? Or should we tighten them up to just discuss the peculiarities of DITA with respect to these issues?