OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 12 December 2006


Best Regards,

Gershon L Joseph
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee | 
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee | 
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing | 
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 12 December 2006

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 12 December 2006 at 08:00am PT
for 60 minutes.

1.  Roll call
    We have quorum.

2.  Accept minutes from previous business meeting:
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200612/msg00018.html (5 Dec)

    Accepted. [moved by Don, seconded by Scott, no objections]

3.  Special:

    1.  Requested update: OASIS Symposium (Carol Geyer)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200612/msg00017.html

        Carol addressed the TC about the symposium. Dec 15 is the deadline for 
        submitting papers.

        Don asked who is planning to participate/attend.
        Scott is planning to submit a paper.
        Jen is also planning to submit a paper.

        Carol: May be good for marketing people of vendor members to do a 
        workshop or host a table.

        Don suggested to Scott that this event may be a good place to meet some 
        people to develop the S1000D subcommittee.

4.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: Follow up on "Use of standardized prefixes when incorporating 
        foreign vocabularies"
        * Revised action item: Robert Anderson and Michael Priestley to 
          provide text on foreign content generalization - moving content into 
          sidefile, reincluding on respecialization.

        CLOSED (will be included in next draft)

    2.  ITEM: Ongoing review of 1.1 drafts:

        * Architectural Spec update: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200611/msg00038.html

            Michael: midway through update. New draft will be out soon, which will 
            address all comments received to-date.

            If anyone has further comments for Michael, please submit them by Friday.

        * DTD update: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200611/msg00044.html

        * XSD update: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200612/msg00016.html (latest)

        * Language spec.
            In progress.

    3.  ITEM: conref recursion question (Priestley and Grosso)
        * continuing from last week--effects of conref resolution sequence

            Michael: The issue is the result of combining 2 statements in the 
            conref topic. Essentially, if you conref from ordered list item to step, 
            the conref should be generalized from step to orderedlist. It gets 
            more complex (see the referenced message).
            Michael proposed the following compromised wording (copied from 
            above message):
            The result should preserve without generalization all elements that are 
            valid in the originating context, even if they are not valid in an 
            intermediate context. For example, if topicA and topicC allow highlighting, 
            and topicB does not, then a content reference chain of topicA->topicB->topicC 
            should preserve any highlighting elements in the referenced content. 
            The result is the same as if the conref pairs are resolved recursively 
            starting from the source element.

            ACTION: Michael to add this text to the spec, which will be 
            reviewed as part of the spec review.


    4.  ITEM: ditaval should not be normative in 1.1
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200612/msg00019.html

            Michael: I don't recall discussion on normativeness. Default assumption 
            is it was in the proposal as non-normative, so it went into the spec
            this way. Assumption was that everything in the proposal was 
            normative unless marked otherwise.

            Paul G: I feel the DITA spec should not address processing. There are 
            implementations that handle profiling without using ditaval.

            Michael: The current proposal is not what the toolkit does. It was developed
            from discussions by vendors (Paul P, Yas, and Paul G).

            Paul G: I didn't realize the details of the configuration file would 
            be part of the spec. To me it's a configuration file that should
            not be part of the spec.

            Eliot agrees with Paul that processor-specific recommendations should not 
            be part of the spec. This is not the only way to implement profiling.

            Michael is concerned that removing any of the current content from the 
            spec will render the profiling information meaningless.
            Michael: I did try to keep the text implementation neutral, and if 
            required I'll make changes to ensure this.

            Eliot: If it avoids anything that imposes behavior on processors, 
            them I'm OK with it.

            Paul G: I have reviewed the existing ditaval description and Arbortext's 
            official position is to object to it.

            Dana: I'm concerned that Arbortext has reservations in this wording, 
            and would like to see Arbortext come to a consensus with us on the issue.

            Paul: I don't want this to drag out beyond today's call. Arbortext 
            will accept the general consensus of the TC.

            Dana: That satisfies my concern.


    5.  ITEM: Translation best practices
        * No new status--meetings will resume Jan 8

5.  Announcements/Opens

    NEXT MEETING: Tuesday January 2.

-- Meeting adjourned at 09:00 --

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]