Subject: Re: [dita] Issue with names of navref element and mapref= attribute

"W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com> wrote on 2007-01-23 06.17.52:
> It seems to me that we should be consistent in either using href= "for"
> all addresses (my preference) or consistent is having the name of the
> referencing attribute indicate the nominal type of the target.

DITA 2.0 will, I presume, be namespace-aware.

Whatever we decide should probably be done in conjunction with the XLink namespace (http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/).  An extensible standard like DITA needs a way for any specialization to unequivocally state that such-and-such an attribute is a hyperlink.  Otherwise any tool that works with DITA documents may accidenally munge hyperlinks when, say, moving a resource.  Anyone who has looked through the DITA-OT gen-list target Java code will see how precarious it can be to scan for hyperlinks.

Standards of comparable or greater maturity (such as SVG) use XLink; they might be worth looking at for inspiration.

--
Deborah Pickett
Deborah_Pickett@moldflow.com