Subject: Re: [dita] Jeff's (Arbortext) DITA 1.1 Language Ref comments...

Hi Paul -

> The statement "Note: The actual contains or contained-by
> information displayed here may differ slightly, depending on
> whether the element is used in a map, bookmap, stand-alone
> topic, or composite file (ditabase)" appears on many more
> elements than I expected (I expected it on topic, task, concept,
> and reference).

I was also startled to see how often it popped up. The main reason for this
actually came from domains, rather than from topic types. For example, the
keyword element may appear in many places within a topic, including inside
the <b> element. Keyword can also be used inside maps; however, maps do not
have the highlighting domain, so <b> is not available. Thus, the model
differs between maps and topics. Likewise, anything that can contain
keywords and appears in both maps and topics will have this problem -- in
maps, <ph> does not contain domain specializations like wintitle, while in
topics it does.

Similarly, common body elements get this message because they may be in
(body | conbody) within ditabase, but only <body> when in the single topic
type. Many of them may also appear in maps through some twisted nesting,
which results in the domain problem again.

I'm certainly open to better wording, if anybody would like to suggest
some. Given that the contains/contained by only applies to the supplied
OASIS doctypes, and could change with any specialization, it might be best
to give this a more complex description at the end, and turn the note into
a link. "This describes the contains/contained-by information for a
composite ditabase file. See [this page] for information on other content
models."

Another option might be to just give the caveat on topic-level elements;
however, I know that several of my own users have reported bugs on our
documentation, caused by reuse of the OASIS contains/contained-by
information for phrase level elements.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit