Subject: Re: [dita] Attribute Specialization

"W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com> wrote on 01/23/2007 02:38:38 PM:

> OK, I see now the section on attribute specialization syntax in the DITA
>   spec. There needs to be a cross reference from the section
> "Specialization of attributes" to the relevant discussion under
> "Specialization in Design".

Agreed, per previous note.

> And I just want to confirm my new understanding:
>
> - Each specialization of props or base needs to be declared it its own
> domain module with its own name

Yes.

> - These attributes are nominally global

Yes (available on all elements).

> - I can restrict the use of the attributes to specific element types by
> simply not allowing them except on the elements I want to allow them on.

No. The attributes are added as separate domains, and there's no support in DITA 1.1 for dependencies between domains and structures (like limiting the domain extensions to only some elements). It's a goal for future releases, but the current design represents the most we could get agreement on in the 1.1 timeframe.

I hope this clarifies.

Michael