Subject: Re: [dita] Attribute Specialization

>in the
>specialization modules I create I'm under no obligation to *allow*
>attributes from any particular domain.

Specialization modules don't control what attributes or elements get added from a domain. The doctype shell controls that, when the domain gets integrated with structural types. At that point, you cannot choose which elements will get the new attributes - it's all or nothing: if you integrate the attribute domain, then all the elements in your doctype get the new attribute.

That may be what you're saying, restating to be safe.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>

01/23/2007 04:00 PM

Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
Re: [dita] Attribute Specialization

Michael Priestley wrote:

>  > - I can restrict the use of the attributes to specific element types by
>  > simply not allowing them except on the elements I want to allow them on.
>  >
>
> No. The attributes are added as separate domains, and there's no support
> in DITA 1.1 for dependencies between domains and structures (like
> limiting the domain extensions to only some elements). It's a goal for
> future releases, but the current design represents the most we could get
> agreement on in the 1.1 timeframe.

I think I didn't say that very well. What I meant was: in the
specialization modules I create I'm under no obligation to *allow*
attributes from any particular domain.

I see that what I wrote could be construed as meaning a desire to
prevent the attribute from being used *by others* on particular element
types.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen