Subject: Re: [dita] Constraint Mechanism [was 1.2 Requirements Ranking]

Hi, Eliot:

While I'd very much like to see constraints for DITA, I see the point about constraints putting strain on the architectural attributes.

On the other hand, worth noting:

Contextual domains (meaning domain substitution limited to specific container elements such as <pLayout> substitution for <data> only within <p> rather than globally as present) seem easier to manage than full-blown constraints. As noted previously, topic nesting already exhibits a kind of contextual substitution. So maybe contextual domains would be a reasonable half loaf?

What do you think?

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>"W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>

          "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>

          03/21/2007 11:24 AM

"DITA TC list" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

Re: [dita] Constraint Mechanism [was 1.2 Requirements Ranking]

Something that Erik's comments bring up that we should consider as well
is the potential for the process of trying to define a constraint
mechanism to force us to revisit the entire specialization mechanism and
its details.

I think that *eventually* we need to have that discussion, but I think
it needs to be in the context of a larger 2.0 discussion, when we have
more freedom to rethink the core DITA architecture and syntax.

GIF image