Subject: RE: [dita] regrets, and opposition to including item 12051 as an easy 1.2 fix

I could be missing some details, and I expect someone
like Michael to correct me if I'm wrong, but let me
explain things the way I understand them.

More accurately, it currently allows you to put topic, task,
concept, and reference together in a single document.  It
does not allow you to put other topic-level things that you
may have created as specializations of topic.  That's the
problem.

When we create a new generalized topic (or whatever we are
calling it) in DITA 1.2, it will not be able to be put into
a ditabase document (unless we change the dita element's
content model specially for the element we add).

The point is that any user that creates a new specialization
of topic isn't going to be able to put those new elements
into a ditabase document unless they can create a specialization
of the dita element.

> As such, it needs no class attribute - since the sole
> function of that attribute is to preserve output implications
> across specializations.

I'm not sure what "preserve output implications across
specializations" means, but the function of the ditabase
document type (and hence the dita element) is to allow a
user to collect various topic-level elements into one
document.

And they can't include their own topic-specializations
in a ditabase document as things stand.

> To add a class attribute to the dita element and make it
> available for specialization is a major architectural change
> that requires careful thought, not a simple easy fix.

I don't see how allowing specialization on the one DITA element
that currently does not allow it as a major architectural change.

paul