OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 April 2007


Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
web:    http://www.tech-tav.com
DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 April 2007

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 17 April 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 60 minutes.

1.  Roll call
    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting: (no minutes from April 10--no quorum)
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00009.html (3 April 2007)

    Accepted. [Don moved, Rob seconded, no objections]

3.  Business:

    1.  Ranking for 1.2 list--resume grouping/prioritizing at #12042
        * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_Specification_1.2_Requirements
        * Note current list discussion of item 12051 as we get to it.

        12042: Michael: input for this is coming from arch spec review.

        12043: Michael: Nice to have. Easy fix.

        12044: TC agrees it's a simple item to implement.

        12049: Review of discussion on email list.

            Discussion between Paul and Michael. Michael feels topic nesting rules 
            should be on the topic and not on ditabase.

            Paul agrees they should be on topic, but if you're going to have a 
            document with root <dita> I'd like to put info on that root element. 
            This is needed to duplicate info, not instead of putting the info on 
            the topic.

            Don: What are the implications if the value on the wrapper differs 
            from the value on the topic?

            Paul and Michael didn't understand the processing issue (i.e. it's 
            user error)

            Michael: Add arch attributes to root elements that processors can use, 
            but root element won't be specializable. 

            Michael feels we need to carefully analyze and review the use cases 
            to ensure the implications are OK. Redefine as major enhancement, 
            it's not a minor enhancement.

            Eliot and Amber are not on the call, and they also wanted it, so 
            decision to revisit this one next week. Robert was asked to 
            reclassify this item as priority 1 item.
            Paul: This item is affected by item 12052 -- if we accept this item, 
            we would definitely want DITAArchVersion attribute on the root element.

            Discussion on whether to merge 12052 and 12049. Agreement to keep them 
            separate for now.

            Michael requested we note that 12052 is added to the short list, since 
            it's trivial to implement, but that does not mean the TC wants it included 
            in 1.2.

        12053: Chris suggested we move this to 1.3 since the Machine Industry SC 
            is still working on it.
        12056: Discussion on how to classify this item.

        12057: Chris: We're going to discuss this no earlier than August/September, 
            so we can move this item to 1.3.

            Don: Can we include this as part of generalized task?

            Chris: Maybe, but we don't have enough information yet to really decide 
            what to do with this. When we have discussed it we will be wiser on 
            which existing proposal (if any) will be suitable for this.

        This completes the fist pass of the 1.2 items.

        ACTION: Robert to rearrange the table into major (core) issues versus 
        minor (other, non-core) issues and we'll discuss next week.

        Don would also like to get an understanding of the required effort on 
        the major items.

    2.  1.2-related list discussions

        * Specification for DITA learning content specialization
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00007.html

            John: This is a complete specialization activity, so we'd like to have 
            this considered for 1.2 or 1.3, whichever is in scope at the time we're 
            ready. Our timeframe is April 2008 to have a full spec on our specialization.

            Michael feels it should be on the 1.2 table for consideration, since 
            the subcommittee will work on the item and deliver it to the TC for 

            ACTION: Robert to add this item as 12058.

        * Question about collection-type on reltable or relcolspec elements
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00008.html 

            Discussion on the merits of making this change.

            Michael: We should clarify this in the 1.1 spec. Question is should 
            we remove them in 1.2?

            Don is concerned about how this would look if we then rearchitect this 
            in the future.

            DECISION: This will be treated as a 1.1 spec comment.

            Michael: Chunk attribute on map element sets policy for map as a whole 
            and the other values are ignored, but for example to chunk the whole 
            map to a single chunk it should generate a single file. We don't currently 
            say that, so it needs to be clarified. 
            ACTION: Michael to send note about this to list for discussion.

        * Base attribute issue (Sirois et al)
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00014.html

            This is a 1.1 issue.

            Eric: Base attributes are missing on some elements, so if anyone wants 
            to extend any of those elements the base attributes won't be there.
            Currently there are 3 elements where this is not possible in 1.1 DTDs 
            and Schemas. The change is backwards compatible.

            Robert: I feel this is kind of a bug not adding base everywhere.

            The TC agrees this bug should be fixed in the 1.1 DTDs and Schemas.

    3.  Subcommittee updates?


4.  Announcements/Opens

    * OASIS Symposium DITA TC Meeting info
      o Wednesday, 18 April
      o 9:00 AM-11:00 AM (Pacific)
      o Phone number: Same as DITA TC number (see the OASIS meeting notice for country-specific numbers)

-- Meeting adjourned at 09:00 --

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]