Subject: RE: [dita] Groups - DITA Proposed Feature #12013 Referencing a range of elements (conrefrange.html) uploaded

Yes, it is the latter.  The target start and end siblings need to be
siblings with the start preceding the end.  With the singleton model,
the source conref element must be the same type as the start target.

> 2) The "Processing behaviors" section seems to state that the domains
> attribute on the source and target topics must be an exact match. That
> is
> more restrictive than the current restriction on conref, in which
> compatibility is guaranteed when "the list of domains in the
referenced
> topic instance (declared on the domains attribute) is the same as or a
> subset of the list of domains in the referencing document" [1]. That
> is,
> when the source topic has domains="(topic hi-d) (topic sw-d)", target
> topic
> values of "(topic hi-d)" and "(topic sw-d) (topic hi-d)" should both
be
> valid, but requiring an exact match would rule them out. The language
> here
> should match the existing language for single point conrefs.

It seemed to me that this assertion came from the architectural spec
1.1. Perhaps the proposal should not spell out the processing rules but
simply say that all matching rules for the conref range regarding
domains and class types must be derived from the existing matching rules
in the spec.

> 3) I don't understand this comment: "Note: The current DITA Open
> Toolkit
> implementation does not perform validate beyond class and domain
> matching.
> It is already possible to include invalid content". The toolkit looks
> for a
> valid subset of domains, rather than an exact match - I think it has
> always
> done this, though it may have been added in an early release.

This was about XML validation, parser-based validation rather than
class/domain matching.

> 4) I also do not quite understand this: "Note: Generalizing on the
fly,
> proposal 12012, has been deferred to DITA 1.3..." The specification
> today
> already says this about conref generalization, in the domains
> paragraph:
> "In the preferred approach, a processor resolving a conref should
> tolerate
> specializations of valid elements and generalize elements in the
> content
> fragment as needed for the referencing context." [1] Deborah Pickett
> contributed code to the toolkit that performs this generalization for
> domain elements -- when conref of a paragraph causes me to pull <b>
> into a
> topic that does not allow highlighting, the <b> is generalized to
<ph>.
> It
> *appears* that this sort of processing is a part of what's proposed in
> 12012, which is a bit confusing, given the existing spec wording.
Maybe
> 12012 would have required the behavior, rather than suggesting it as
> the
> preferred approach?

If the toolkit already does this degree of generalization via Deb's
contribution then I certainly don't understand what proposal 12012 was
proposing.   The basic principle should be that if the toolkit currently
generalizes a regular conref, then a similar degree of generalization
would be desirable on ranged conref.

> Other than that, I only noticed two typos. The link to proposal 12012
> is
> incorrect, and most of the examples at the bottom use <of> instead of
> <ol>.

Thanks Rob, I'll fix those.