Subject: Re: [dita] Content model options for #12011 - Generic Task Type

I'm inclined to think that if a task has more than one set of steps, it's not a task.

That said, the case of a single set of steps with an interspersed discussion element is something I've seen before - I don't know whether it's good style, but it's still a single set of steps, just interrupted.

Sum:
taskbody:
 (prereq|context)*, steps?, (postreq|section|example)*

steps/steps-unordered:
(step|li|discussion)*

I should run this by some IBM editors and see how much gnashing of teeth results. Even though the point of making task more generic is to allow more specialization, the other point of task is to hold the gates against bad writing practices. The more we punt to constraints, the less useful the base task module is on its own. Otherwise we could just use the task module to declare all the new elements, and a constraints module to declare the actual content models. Maybe that will become our ultimate direction - the complete separation of semantics from structure - but I'd rather save a major new design direction like that for 2.0 - and in the meantime keep the task module usable as an actual declaration of task structure, not just a bucket of elements.

Michael Priestley
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

Deborah_Pickett@moldflow.com

11/27/2007 08:32 PM

Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com>
cc
dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [dita] Content model options for #12011 - Generic Task Type

Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com> wrote on 28/11/2007 04:53:38 AM:
> Key use cases here are tutorials and
> troubleshooting, where you want to have some discussion that encompasses
> all the foregoing or all following steps in a group (e.g., talking about
> where you've gotten after 4 steps of a 6-step atomic process within a
> tutorial).

(I just pulled that bit out because that's the one use case I have which <task> doesn't currently give me. Consider that sentence the context of my reply.)

> - Should a single task allow multiple <steps> elements? [...]
> - Should there be a way to group steps within a single <steps> element
> that is not substeps within steps? [...]

As Eliot said, both of these could satisfy my use case (I do the former as a specialization of <topic>).  The latter is probably cleaner, though it requires more architectural upheaval.

I'd been hoping to avoid the philosophical question of "what is a task?" but perhaps I can't.  Are my worked-examples-with-interspersed-discussion tasks?  I think they are, but I am prepared to admit that I am looking at them through legacy-topic-coloured glasses.  They might have been refactorable as straight tasks, probably with some splitting.

> With regard to the specifics in Alan's note, my feeling is:
>
> For the content model of <step>:
> - I see the value of allowing <itemgroup> to enable arbitrary
> specialization that is not based on <info>. However, I would be OK with
> not allowing <itemgroup> if we agree that <info> is sufficiently
> generic.

Agreed, though I do note that we don't have a perfect track record in forecasting how generic is "sufficiently generic".  Read on...

--
Deborah Pickett
Information Architect, Moldflow Pty Ltd, Melbourne