Subject: Re: [dita] Content model options for #12011 - Generic Task Type

Michael Priestley <mpriestl@ca.ibm.com> wrote on 28/11/2007 02:34:27 PM:
> I'm inclined to think that if a task has more than one set of steps,
> it's not a task.

It's these kinds of absolutes that should be enshrined somewhere in doctrine.  No, seriously.  By having rigid boundaries like this, specializers who want something outside of them know to not pursue one course (subverting <task>'s content model) and to pursue others (specializing straight from <topic>).

> Rather than create alternates at the <steps> level, could we
> preserve the requirement for a single set of <steps> but allow more
> freedom within it? In other words, instead of adding <ol> and <ul>
> as peers of <steps> and <steps-unordered>, just allow <li> as a peer
> that has override behavior to appear without numbering or indenting
> (ie it interrupts the flow of the task but not the numbering of the steps).

I could certainly live with that.  On the other hand, implementations will have fun numbering steps now that some children of <steps> don't increment the numbering.  On the gripping hand, specializers desperate for <simple-step> would have a place to hang their element.  I wish I knew if that was a good thing.

> That leaves the question of what kinds of generic containers to
> allow before and after <steps>.

If I had to choose between the current proposed content models for <taskbody>, I'd probably choose Eliot's (with a <process-description> element) because of its symmetry.

--
Deborah Pickett
Information Architect, Moldflow Pty Ltd, Melbourne