Subject: Re: [dita] Genericode Standard for Formally Defining Enumerated Values?

Hi, Eliot:

Thanks for mentioning this work. I'd seen the UBL code lists previously but wasn't aware that it had been spun off as the Genericode initiative. I can easily see taking advantage of Genericode if good infrastructure comes into being around it.

I wouldn't think, however, that we'd want to drop the controlled values proposal from DITA 1.2 for several reasons:

I don't think that's antagonistic to Genericode -- if we can validate an attribute enumeration by flattening a DITA scheme to a Genericode list and then using Genericode-aware Schema validators or a Genericode Schematron generator, we should leverage those tools for those environments -- but we have good reasons for having a DITA method for representing controlled values and vocabularies.

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com