Subject: Re: [dita] Issue With Requirement for Trailing Space in class= Values

Ogden, Jeff wrote:
> Wouldn't adding a non-name trailing character to the class attribute
> value cause problems for processors that care about the specific
> position of the item within the class attribute? Some processors may
> look for the last topic/element token or for the second to last. Or for
> processors that are generalizing a DITA document since you might mistake
> the character as the last token and end up generalizing an element to
> itself?

I suppose those could be problems--hadn't considered checks that look
for the last non-blank token. That would certainly be a compatibility
issue.  Hmph.

Is there some history for why the trailing blank design was chosen over
a trailing non-blank? People have already asked me and I wasn't involved
with DITA when that decision was made but I assume it was not made
without appropriate consideration.

> Are the attribute values that have the trailing space stripped present
> in the document instance? Aren't the class attribute values typically in
> the DTD or schema rather than the instance?  I can't imagine that
> MarkLogic is "correcting" the DTD or schema (but what do I know?). Is
> using the default class attribute value from the DTD or schema a way out
> of this problem?

The documents get normalized as part of the import to MarkLogic, which
as far as I know does not use either DTDs or schemas to handle defaulted
attributes (but I could be wrong--I'm no MarkLogic expert). The problem
of course is that the class= attribute is not fixed, only defaulted, so
there's nothing invalid about an instance that changes it.

On export we can of course just suppress the class= attributes (and
other known DITA "fixed" attributes). But that doesn't help in the case
of, for example, trying to query directly against the database on class.

Cheers,

Eliot

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 610.631.6770