Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal for Consideration: Default Behavior for ListItems

Grosso, Paul wrote:
> Why are we getting into details of styling in a semantic
> markup language standard?  DITA shouldn't dictate to a user
> how their stylesheet has to work.  If we put wording such
> as Eliot's into the DITA standard, then we are telling
> users that they non-compliant if they write a stylesheet
> differently, and I know Eliot is not a fan of having a user's
> control over their own data usurped by someone else.

This is a proposal for default style behavior per our discussion over
the last few months about the fact that the standard needs to indicate
what formatting defaults are in many cases (as it currently does
sometimes and sometimes fails to do, as in the case of list items).

This particular case was called out because the current spec is silent
and the Toolkit implements two different behaviors for the same markup
in two different plugins. I don't know of any other case where that happens.

Note that my language very purposefully starts with "By default...".

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 610.631.6770
www.reallysi.com
www.rsuitecms.com