Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 13 January 2008

Gershon Joseph
Technical Leader
PDI DocTools

gerjosep@cisco.com
Phone: +972 9 892-7157
Mobile: +972 57 314-1170

Cisco Systems, Inc.

Israel
Cisco home page

Think before you print. Think before you print.
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Cisco Systems Limited (Company Number: 02558939), is registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 1 Callaghan Square, Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT

GIF image

GIF image

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 13 January 2008

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes recorded by Gershon Joseph <gerjosep@cisco.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 13 January 2008 at 08:00am PT for
60 minutes.

Roll call (Regrets: Paul Grosso)
  > We have quorum.

Approve minutes from previous business meetings:
  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200812/msg00008.html (9 Dec 2008)
  * Notes from 16 Dec 2008 non-official meeting
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200812/msg00011.html

  > Accepted by acclamation.

Subcommittee reports (as needed)
  * OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
  * OASIS DITA Learning Content Subcommittee
  * OASIS DITA Machine Industry Subcommittee
  * OASIS DITA Semiconductor Information Design Subcommittee (Jae Sheddy)
  * OASIS DITA for Enterprise Business Documents Subcommittee
  * OASIS DITA Help Subcommittee
  * OASIS DITA for Technical Standards
  * OASIS DITA Adoption TC

Business:

1.  ITEM: Discuss 2009 schedule
    * Acknowledge Stan's "teaching DITA" FYI to the group, latest version uploads
    * updated OASIS DITA TC Calendar reservations
    * First quarter review goals

    ACTION: Don and Gershon to write email to Mary asking OASIS for full content management
    system so that we can better manage multiple users working on spec DTDs and source
    files.

    Jeff said he will work 2 days at home this week to progress on the arch spec. Will
    send updates end of day Friday.

    Discussed Gershon's offer to manage the spec topics in an Excel spreadsheet.
    Gershon and Don introduced the proposal, which was actually suggested by JoAnn
    (not on the call). Gershon to continue filling in the spreadsheet for the lang
    spec and post work in progress to the list for analysis and discussion.

    Revisit Gershon's spreadsheet next week.

2.  ITEM: DITA 1.2 Specification Review Assignments
    * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Draft_DITA_1.2_Specification_Review_Assignments

    * Action check: Don to contact Erik Hennum about his overview on controlled values.

      > Erik completed his overview.

    * Action check: Kris to email reminder to Eliot (which elements are for specialization?)

      > CLOSED.

    > ACTION: Don to send email to list reminding TC members to update the review page to
    > reflect their review items status

3.  ITEM: Cascading/Inheritance of default values
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200810/msg00009.html (Ogden)
    * deferred from last week

    > Jeff: A summary was written after a meeting of a sub-group of folks about how
    > the values are derived.
    > Also ongoing discussions on similar questions, e.g. how values specified in maps
    > cascade to other maps. Robert also involved in these later discussions. There were
    > discussions about @toc, among others.
    > Robert: the questions raised may cover use cases DITA 1.2 cannot support. Robert
    > has a Wiki page on OASIS that lists the issues and discussions, and will bring to
    > TC after Jeff reviews the page (Jeff will review that page today).

    > Jeff requested TC members to review the summary linked to from the Wiki page (link
    > above) plus Jeff's summary (scroll down to the email sent 24 September).

4.  ITEM: Review 1.2 list for items that should be considered for 1.3
    * Update the DITA 1.3 list on the Wiki (Gershon)
    * Action check: Gershon to add his research into the DITA 1.3 Proposals table.

    > CONTINUED. [Move to ongoing checks section of agenda]

5.  ITEM: "DITA goes Nuclear" thread
    * Is anyone else in the nuclear industry using DITA?
    * If yes, where should specialization go?
    * Revisit this week

    > Robert: Nothing for DITA TC to do. Attempts are being made to pursue
    > standardization outside of the TC.

    > CLOSED.

--Meeting adjourned--

6.  New ITEM: "Conref push for static output formats" discussion
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200812/msg00006.html
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200812/msg00007.html

7.  New ITEM: Behavior of q element
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200901/msg00005.html and following (Anderson)

Ongoing checks:

1.  ITEM: OASIS hosting of a Web GUI
    * Review progress

    > CONTINUED.

2.  ITEM: Request for input on DITA 1.2 use:
    * Status of DITA OT 1.5 reference implementation of 1.2 features:
      * http://dita.xml.org/wiki/plans-for-dita-ot-15
    * Note new list below for collecting affirmations of use.