Subject: Re: [dita] Arch spec uploaded to SVN

On 4/6/09 12:54 PM, "Gershon Joseph (gerjosep)" <gerjosep@cisco.com> wrote:

> At last week's TC meeting I had an action item to write a Wiki page that
> describes how to use Subversion. However, since there are various
> clients available, and I use only one of them, I'm not sure how much
> that would benefit the TC members. It may make more sense if folks use
> their favorite SVN client. FWIW I use TortoiseSVN, which sits on top of
> Windows Explorer as I showed at the meeting -- all SVN features are on
> the context (right-click) menu. Oxygen XML Editor also has an SVN client
> built-in, but I have not used it.

There is also a Subversion client for Eclipse, the Subclipse plugin (
http://subclipse.tigris.org/). I've used both the Oxygen and Subclipse SVN
clients and I like them both. The Eclipse plugin has the advantage that it
integrates with Eclipse's general "Team" facilities, which includes the very
handy "Synchronize with Repository" function, which lets you see what's new
and changed in the repository before doing an update or a commit.

If you're used to doing things from Windows Explorer Tortoise is probably
going to be most natural. If you're already working in Eclipse then the
Eclipse plugin will be natural and if you want a more complete standalone
GUI then I can recommend the Oxygen SVN client. Note that the Oxygen client
is bundled with the normal Oxygen editor distribution and is also available
as a free download.

Cheers,

Eliot

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>