Subject: RE: [dita] Learning and Training Proposal: Allow Topicrefs to Nest Themselves

[Eliot, we discussed this proposal somewhat on this Tuesday's
TC telcon, and we plan to make decisions next Tuesday.]

After understanding things better, I'm okay with Proposal B--I
am not okay with Proposal A.  I will not object to implementing
proposal B in DITA 1.2.

So you all can stop reading now--but...

All these proposals to change DITA 1.2 at this point are somewhat
problematic.  They are coming in quite late in what was supposed
to be the DITA 1.2 timeline, and some of us have already released
products including draft versions of the DITA 1.2 DTDs and XSDs.

However, after 20 years in the standards business, I understand
that--given how long it always takes to get a given version of
a standard--one hates to have to wait for the next version for
something that seems like a small, safe, and worthwhile change.

We included the draft DITA 1.2 DTDs and XSDs in our latest release
with the understanding that they weren't final, and we've informed
our customer base of that fact.  We'll plan to update to the final
DITA 1.2 DTDs and XSDs in a future release, but that of necessity
won't be for a while.  Meanwhile, we will get complaints by some
that "Arbortext isn't DITA 1.2 compliant" because we don't distribute
the latest DTDs.  I hope at least the DITA TC members understand and
appreciate the actual situation.

paul

Nest
> Themselves
>
> The current learningMapDomain does not allow the *Ref topicref types
> nest. This does not allow the creation of learning content structures
that
> incorporate content from nested topics using map-based references. For
> example, it does not allow the creation of a learning content
component that
> incorporates glossary entries managed as reusable components. I have
at
> least one client that has exactly this requirement.
>
> The motivation for this constraint with the SCORM requirement that all
> content be structured as single artifacts (e.g., single HTML pages).
> However, the @chunk facility allows the SCORM requirement to be
satisfied
> without the need to restrict topicref nesting.
>
> I also observe that the architectural spec actually assumed that the
L&T

<http://www.rsuitecms.com>