Subject: RE: [dita] problem with packaging of glossaries

I am in favor of Bruce’s second recommendation. What is the problem with stating that concept, task, and reference are key specializations in the DITA standard? Why should they be relegated to technical communication only? I just don’t see the point of that.

Even if there is a All DITA package, we’re not including information about task, concept, and reference information types in the base architectural specification, but only in the arch spec for technical communication.

I’ve never been in favor of this split and would strongly prefer that we include task, concept, reference, and glossary in the base architectural specification. That would leave us with the machine industry specialization, which is, of course, extremely relevant for many outside the machine industry, and the various domains (software, ui, programming, machine industry, safety hazard). Also bookmap. Why is bookmap considered relevant only for technical communication. It’s probably less relevant there and more relevant for DocBook aficionados.

Since I’m writing the tech comm arch spec content and the topic content, I’d be very happy to restore task, concept, reference, and glossary to the base arch spec. I could include a statement that these may primarily relate to product documentation although I really don’t think that’s true.

JoAnn

JoAnn Hackos PhD

President

Comtech Services, Inc.