Subject: RE: [dita] C/T/R Not Universal (was problem with packaging of glossaries)

Eliot, this line of argument (the exchange with Tim below), while
intended to support deriving types like policy directly from <topic>,
actually limns pretty well the argument for simplified base topic types
from which the current TD-specialized C/T/R would then be specialized, a
strategy that Michael also was endorsing today (in parallel to or rather
as an alternative to a constraints strategy).

> It's not clear to that, for example, defining a "policy"
> topic type as a specialization of concept, rather than as a
> specialization of topic, buys you anything in terms of
> semantic description and it inherits structural constraints
> that may not always be appropriate, depending on the use case.

The aim of simplification is to remove structural constraints that are
not appropriate across the range of business document types.

Technical documentation is a type of business document, one type among
the many, and there are largely unexplored benefits of sharing content
into and out of technical documentation and among the various other
types of business documents. Product specification content should flow
into product user content, training content, sales support content,
customer support content, and all the vice versas. RFPs, proposals,
business cases, even policy documents and the like (certainly as those
are relevant to content in the other types). These are (almost?) always
siloed today, as they have been "forever". Cisco (and I assume this is
true of other companies) creates and publishes trade books and magazines
that could benefit from easier content sharing with these other classes
of documentation.

The question is whether e.g. a policy is a type of concept. The
companion question is concerns the benefit for packaging and user
comprehension if we treat concept as the more general type from which
the TC-specialized concept and policy (among others) are derived. It is
important to limit the welter of types that would otherwise grow up as
immediate descendants of <topic>. I hear this as Michael's strong
concern as architect, and I could not agree more strongly.

On the Busdocs team we've been looking at a systemic relationship of
topic types that will provide a rational basis for expanding the set of
types in a rational and controlled way. Not to jump the gun or steal
anyone's thunder, I think you'll like it when it's ready to be exposed
to the full TC as part of our proposal.

	/Bruce