Subject: 1.2 Issue: Should href be required on <image>?

With respect to my earlier post about clarrification of keyref on image, I
am satisfied that the original proposal was clear that keyref on image
functions as href (should be a reference to a graphic).

However, that then raises the issue of whether or not @href should be
required on <image> now that keyref is available.

I definitely have use cases where I would *not* want to be forced to specify
@href if I am using keyref: I do not want a fallback behavior: the whole
point of using keyref in this case is that there is no single href that is
either knowable or appropriate. In that case, requiring a value for @href
will simply lead to users putting in nonsense values.

It also makes more work for tools that create <image> references, since they
have to either force users to provide an href value when keyref is also
specified or put in some default value, which then has to be configured and
managed (for example, you might set all hrefs to
"http://example.com/images/keyref-to-image-failed.jpg"; which is kind of
silly).

Therefore, why require it?

Cheers,

Eliot

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>