Subject: RE: [dita] Why There are Constraints on Conref

My primary concern is distinguishing cases that will break processing. Bringing in other content into a namespace would almost certainly break processing, since there are no namespaces currently in DITA, and no tools would know what to do with it.

If we bring in content via conref, I think it has to be normal, un-namespaced DITA. Otherwise processes that don't know what it is (ie all existing processes) will either ignore the content (effectively deleting the reused content), or throw errors and break.

I think the first question is how big is the problem we're actually talking about:
- how common will it be for two groups to have different rules around what goes in a task, and still need to share content (in both directions)?
- for those different-rules-but-need-to-share groups, how common will it be for them to want to ignore their own rules when they are reusing? IE, enforce rules when their authors create content, but ignore the rules when their authors conref others' content?

You say the worst case is that one group might need to rewrite content; I actually think that may be quite normal, and not a worst case at all. Think of an actual example:

- group L has a bunch of loose tasks; they follow a best practice of conreffing from a loose task type file full of common content
- group S has a bunch of strict tasks, and some similar common content, stored in a strict task type file
- the groups agree to merge their common content, so they can share reuse
- they identify the elements in group L's ditabase files that are of interest to both teams, and move them into a new ditabase file that enforces the strict task type
- now group L has two common-content task files: one that uses the loose task type, with elements that only they use, and one that uses the strict task type, which both can use

Because group L moved the cross-group content into the stricter doctype, both groups now have a guaranty that nothing will go into that file which could break the content rules and processing expectations of either group.

So that's how it would work the current rules. I don't think that's the end of the world. Two groups that are conreffing content probably need to have some level of coordination anyway - it's not like map-based reuse, where you can just point at a topic; you're pointing at an element ID, and hoping it's still there tomorrow.

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25