Subject: RE: [dita] Conref terminology: Referencing element and referenced element

This is much clearer but still seems needlessly complicated by combining the two sorts of information in one paragraph.

The terminological information must be given in its most general form elsewhere for all types of linking. Is a link or allusion to that general description appropriate? (I hesitate to say a "reference" to it ;-)

How's this?

The  referencing element is the element with the referencing attribute (in this case, @conref) and the referenced element is the element that is addressed by that attribute. See [topic name].

The element with the content to be pushed depends upon the type of push operation. In the case of a push and replace operation, the content that is pushed is contained in the referencing element. In the case of a push before or push after operation, the referencing element uses a mark operation to specify the location to which the content is pushed, and the content to be pushed is in a second element which specifies the push operation. The reason for this is to ensure that inserting a second such element at that location is valid.

Note that the lang ref topic "The conref attribute" needs updating (unless my copy is stale):

The conref attribute

This attribute is used to reference an ID on content that can be reused. It allows reuse of DITA components from phrases to topics as well as maps and pieces of maps.

Full details on how to resolve the conref attribute can be found in the DITA Architectural specification. This topic primarily includes information on the actual syntax required when using the conref attribute.

Typo (extraneous "a") in the arch spec topic "Content reference":

A content reference can be a from one element to one other element or from one element to a set of elements.