Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 21 September 2010

 <<Minutes20100921.txt>> DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 21
September 2010

Chaired by Don Day <donday@bga.com>
Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 21 September 2010 at
08:00am PT for 55 minutes.

8:00-8:05 Roll call

> Quorum was achieved.

STANDING BUSINESS:

Approve minutes from previous business meeting:

*  Moved by Don, seconded by Dick Hamilton; approved by acclamation.

Subcommittee/liaison reports:

*  OASIS DITA Semiconductor Information Design Subcommittee (Beims)

> Activity low for about a year, just monthly touching base, because the
adoption rate in the industry has been slow, exacerbated by the "Great
Recession" (40% contraction). Encouraged by signs of recovery.

> Have written draft specializations for managing registered content.
First information pattern tackled probably the most difficult, but
biggest payback: API for each IP block must be described discretely.
Bob's company using these specializations. Working to get rough draft
into a committee draft for circulation.

> A few months ago discussed semiconductor implementors' group or
"virtual DITA user group" for discussion incurring cost of OASIS
membership. Members present success stories with DITA. First official
presentation tomorrow. Monthly presentations planned. Beims 3 months
out.

> Most are very early on the learning curve with specializations, but
increasing numbers getting involved.

> Don: Do you anticipate interest in learning & training
specializations? Bob: Yes, on list, and in fact he has particular
interest in this. Best Practices conference addressed this from
organizational perspective, but DITA enables this. Tool vendors are
watching this space. Need to demonstrate market drive. At Best
Practices, IBM won the "Rare Bird" award last Wednesday for work in the
semiconductor space.

Action Items:

*  Review open items: http://www.oasis-
open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/members/action_items.php
> Few actions, most of them closed.

Comments:

*  PublicReview1Comments

> C008: Chris Kravogel out of touch, need a volunteer to look at those
topics and make sure they're up to date. Don will  contact some of us
off line.

> Robert's suggestion about including domains in maps was approved.

> Robert: Eric expects to have his items updated this week.

> C036: Restore the 1.1 content of course. Just dropped in the course of
a complex reorganization of the content, we noted that such changes call
for particular attention from editors.

ACTION: Bruce: Ask Adoption TC if they need to update the DITA 1.2
public adopters list to reflect folks identified by Bob Beims.

ACTION: Don: Ensure that Freescale is represented on the TC's adopters
list (not core adoption, specialization adoption).

BUSINESS:

1. New ITEM: Domains in maps (request for discussion by Robert)

*  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201009/msg00078.html

> Approved in discussion of comments above.

2. ASSESSMENT: how are we poised for next CD schedule? Any blockers? Any
remaining concerns?

> Close to wrapping up comments, need to put draft out in the next week
or two. Getting content updated is the only block. Substantive changes
are at an end, nits and tweaks possible. Eliot expects to be finished by
start of business Friday. Robert expects to be finished then. Don: do we
need a production test run? Robert: plan to vote next Tuesday.

> Don: unless production bugs show up or unless there concerns calling
for committee review remain unanswered.

> Plan to post on Friday. If everyone is comfortable with it, we can
vote on Tuesday. 15-day review is next.

3. ITEM: PDF processing for Spec (resumed from last week)

> Robert updated us on the status, and we're good to go.
CLOSED.

4. New ITEM: Initiate TC discussion about post-1.2 packaging

*  At the TC meeting on 13 July 2010, Gershon raised the point that we
need to
consider how we will handle SC releases and niche specializations going
forward.
The user community is concerned by the "weight" and "size" of the DITA
1.2
release.

> Eliot: would like a precedent for different SCs to publish their
specializations independently. For example, if not for dependencies on
DITA 1.2 the Learning & Training specializations could have been
published as a standalone spec.
> Don: OK if only a packaging matter, not requiring committee review,
etc.
> Eliot: Would like to see the DITA spec become a larger number of
smaller pieces rather than a single monolithic document. OASIS is OK
with work developed by the SC if approved and published by the TC.
> Don: so long as SC membership able to drive the creation and review
process within the scope of the TC.
> Don: Next week, focus on what packages we need to have in hand as 1.2
goes out.

8:59 Adjourn