Subject: RE: [dita] Finding descriptions of DITA attributes

Title: Finding descriptions of DITA attributes

Hi Su-Laine,

It should be possible to code this as an XSLT transformation, perhaps requiring some Java code to help along. Are there any programmers on the DITA Adoption TC who would like to tackle this? If not, I'll see if I can get one of our students to do this as a little project. It would probably be useful to generate a list of elements too, so we could have a tool that generates an alphabetical list of elements and/or attributes from any source DITA files – think of specializations beyond the spec – such a plug-in to the toolkit (or a standalone kit) would probably be useful to specializers to help them document their work.

Cheers,

Gershon

From: Su-Laine Yeo [mailto:su-laine.yeo@justsystems.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:41 AM
To: DITA TC; DITA Adoption TC
Subject: [dita] Finding descriptions of DITA attributes

Hi everyone,

(Please note that this is not a request to change the DITA 1.2 draft :) )

It has come to my attention that if you are trying to understand the purpose of a particular DITA attribute, the language reference leaves something to be desired. If you want to know more about a particular element, there is an alphabetical list of elements. For attributes, there is no alphabetical list, and the documentation is in organized according to what the attributes are used for. So you sort of have to already know something about what an attribute is used for in order to find out what it is used for.

Doing a plain-text search on the attribute name is useful, if circuitous, for attributes with odd names like "xtrf". It is a lot less useful for attributes with English names like "base".

A hyperlinked alphabetical list of DITA attributes would be very helpful. Does anyone know of a quick way to generate one?

Regards,

Su-Laine

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant