Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 22 March 2011

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 22 March 2011

Chaired by Don Day <donday@bga.com> and Kristen Eberlein <keberlein@stl.com>
Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 22 March 2011 at 08:00am PT for 55 minutes.

8:00-8:05 Roll call

 o  Regrets: Deb Bissantz; Jo-Ann Hackos; Thilo Buchholtz
 o  Quorum was established.

STANDING BUSINESS:

Approve minutes from previous business meeting:

 o  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201103/msg00037.html (Bruce Nevin, Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:24:10 -0500)

> Moved by Don Day, Seconded by Dick Hamilton, approved by acclamation.

Subcommittee/liaison reports:

 o  OASIS DITA Semiconductor Information Design Subcommittee next week

Action Items:

 o  Review open items: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/members/action_items.php

> Need to reassign the items currently assigned to Gershon.

BUSINESS:

1. ITEM: FAQ item about "Question about the order in which keys are resolved"
   o  Ready for TC review; see "What does the term "effective value" mean?" and "Given multiple key definitions, how does a processor determine which key definition is effective?" at FAQ-items
   o  Wiki review page: Review-FAQ-#1
   o  E-mail:
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201103/msg00030.html (Kris Eberlein, Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:04:39 -0400)
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201103/msg00038.html (Bruce Nevin, Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:29:49 -0500)

ACTION (Kris) : Post this FAQ on dita.xml.org.
CLOSED

> Further discussion: We have an errata wiki page; we need to clean up the language. At some point we will publish errata, but OASIS process limits us to one of these in six months. One of the work items of the TC is to review the language in the spec under DITA Processing, DITA addressing for key-based addressing.

2. ITEM: FAQ item about "Key resolution for complex <topicmeta> content"

   o  Wiki review page: Review-FAQ-#1
   o  New e-mail:
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201103/msg00046.html (Su-Laine Yeo, Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:00:32 -0700)

> Expanded to determining links in general. Su-Laine updated it yesteday, and it is ready for review again. She has noted a couple of places that seem to be ambiguous in the spec.

> There are some bugs in the OTK such that it treats these matters differently; this may have given rise to divergent user inferences.

HOLD for completion next week.

3. ITEM: Conditional processing before/after keyspace construction

   o  Decided at TC meeting 15 March to issue a FAQ item about this matter. Eliot has written a first draft which is available for review at http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/FAQ-items#Q.Whatistheinteractionbetweenkeyresolutionorkeybindingandconditionalprocessing.3F
   o  Wiki page for review comments: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Review-FAQ-

> Kris: we decided to do a FAQ item only last week. There hasn't been any email discussion. Robert, Michael, and other interested people should review what has been written and take it up next week.

ACTION (All): review Eliot's FAQ on Conditional processing before and after keyspace construction.

4. ITEM: General implications of using one topic with more than one key

   o  E-mail discussed at 15 February meeting:
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00036.html (Eliot Kimber, Sat, 12 Feb 2011 06:57:41 -0600)
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00037.html (Chris Nitchie, Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:05:47 -0500)
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00038.html (Eliot Kimber, Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:31:26 -0600)
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00040.html (Chris Nitchie, Mon, 14 Feb 2011 22:04:02 -0500)
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00041.html (Eliot Kimber, Mon, 14 Feb 2011 21:47:07 -0600)
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00042.html (Chris Nitchie, Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:27:22 -0500)
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00043.html (Eliot Kimber, Tue, 15 Feb 2011 07:56:28 -0600)

   o  E-mail discussed at 22 February meeting:
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00053.html (Eliot Kimber, Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:36:05 -0600)

   o  E-mail discussed at the 15 March meeting:
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201103/msg00021.html (Robert Anderson, Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:58:29 -0400)

   o  Summary of discussion at 15 March meeting:
      *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201103/msg00037.html

> Eliot: agree that we're missing a feature that allows an author to make inent explicit in this case. 1. What's the implication for conref push, as a special case? 2. In general, when the same <topicref> is bound to two different keys in the same map, what needs to be added to the markup to capture the author's intent? Don't think @copyto is adequate. It has been used in this way, because of how we were using @copyto in the absence of keys. Use of @copyto to ensure a known rendered identifier is distinct from this case.

> Michael: Agreed so long as we agree that use of more than one key doesn't necessarily mean that they intend to differentiate those references, it could be an artifact. If we want to provide a mechanism to differentiate them, we need to determine what that might be. We don't want to make an assumption about the intent without explicit semantics.

> Consensus: This is a discussion for later.

> Michael: we agree that there's work for 1.3, but we disagree whether there is an FAQ item for 1.2.  If you can convince me that none of the use cases with conref push would not be accidental and therefore a surprise to the user (and some other things) I would be happy to agree.

ACTION (Michael, Eliot): Discuss use cases where the same topic is referenced with different keys and resolve the appropriate way for the TC to proceed.

CLOSED but will reopen when appropriate.

5. ITEM: Extensions to DITA filtering using subjectScheme classification (for discussion 29 March 2011)

        *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00073.html (Jonatan Lundin, Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:50:39 +0200)
        *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00083.html (Jonatan Lundin, Thu, 24 Feb 2011 17:32:40 +0200)

DEFERRED to next week, as noted.

6. ITEM: DITA 1.3 process

        *  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201102/msg00008.html (Robert Anderson, Mon, 7 Feb 2011 11:29:49 -0500)

   o  Wiki page: Proposed process for DITA 1.3 features

   o  DITA 1.3 proposal template (draft): http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/41383/1-3template.dita
        *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201103/msg00012.html (Paul Grosso, Tue, 8 Mar 2011 11:53:01 -0500)

CONTINUED, members should review the template. Subject to revision when we put it in practice for a feature proposal for 1.3.

7.	CONTINUING ITEM: Perceptions that DITA is complex

        *  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201101/msg00051.html (Stan Doherty, Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:28:35 -0500 -- recent e-mail on thread)
        *  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00069.html (Paul Grosso, 22 Feb 2011 13:13:41 -0500 -- scroll down to bottom of e-mail)

> Don asked Bruce how the work of the BusDocs subcommittee bears on this. The main concern is that proposals for simplification be undertaken with a view that is as broad as possible, encompassing in part unforeseeable requirements of unexpected adopters. Our suggestion is that future direction on this in the TC should be based in Don's work making explicit the metamodel that is implicit in DITA, and finding connections and commonalities with other metamodel work, including Rob's.

> Robert: We created a Wiki page to collect information about "What people (really) mean when they say `DITA is too complex'?" We need to review what has been collected on the wiki. The proposal template will ensure that DITA 1.3 proposals address the issue of complexity.

8:50-8:55 PT Announcements/Opens
8:55 PT Adjourn