OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: minutes20110705.txt -- sent 7/5 -- but sent to munged address?

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 05 July 2011

Chaired by Don Day <donday@bga.com>

Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 20 July 2010 at 08:00am
PT for 55 minutes.

 o Regrets: Deb Bissantz

8:00-8:05 Roll call: Quorum was achieved.


Approve minutes from previous business meeting:

 o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201106/msg00043.html
(Bruce Nevin, 28 June 2011)
   * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201106/msg00044.html
(Kimber, discussion clarification)
> Moved by Don, seconded by Dick Hamilton, approved by acclamation.

> Bruce will be away July 19 and 26. JoAnn volunteered to take minutes
on those dates.

Subcommittee/liaison reports:

 o OASIS DITA Adoption TC (5 July 2011)
> Currently reviewing a number of draft articles. This had been held
up with questions about templates and process, and with members busy
with conferences.

> The  Learning Content Subcommittee has merged into the Adoption TC.

ACTION (Don): ask Bob Beims to prepare to report for the Semiconductor
Information Design Subcommittee.

Action Items:

 o Review open items: http://www.oasis-


1.	ITEM: Triage of DITA complexity list and potential solutions

   * Wiki page: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_Perceptions
   * NEW: Stan's summary: http://lists.oasis-

> No new activity.

2.	ITEM: Triage of DITA_1.3_Proposals list

   * Wiki page: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals

13007: Indirect references to IDs in topics as well as to topics
themselves. We don't want to extend the key definition because
<topicref> should be limited to topics. It wouldn't be that hard to
address. There's an ability to export IDs within a topic, part of the
idea for delayed @conref. We might be able to adapt this to make some
IDs redirectable. Perhaps something in <topicmeta> that would map
names to IDs.

We are concerned about adding to DITA complexity, and we are concerned
that we see little user demand. So far, this gap has not been a
problem in practice. However, the appearance of no user demand may be
because keyref is so new, and because there are no problems when reuse
is well organized. For unplanned reuse, this will be a problem. Don:
DITA 1.3 has to be needs-driven. Does the value (and the demand)
outweigh the complexity? How much time do we have for e.g. broaching
this at an upcoming conference for user input? If the only rationale
is completeness of design, it should be deferred. 

This affects usefulness of <xref> to subelements of a topic. Map-level
reuse is ideally less volatile than subtopic reuse, but discipline of
writing groups varies. If this moves forward to the proposal phase,
and the proposal is then deferred, the work will not be lost, it will
be useful when we take it up for 2.0.

Kris and JoAnn are on the fence on complexity grounds, so a roll call
vote was required. The result: 9 yes, 3 no, 2 abstentions (to avoid
plural votes from the same company). Chris Nitchie will develop a

13010: If you want to indicate the glossary sort order in e.g.
Japanese, a specialization is necessary currently. JoAnn recommends
referring this to the translation subcommittee to determine if there
any concerns or additional requirements. They have been left out of
the loop in the past. However, the best time for this referral would
be after there is a proposal. Any subcommittee that is interested
should review the proposal before it comes up for a vote. In addition,
the translation SC can certainly look at it while the proposal is
being prepared, and the proposal writer should be given the action to
consult with them.

However, the requirement is more general than glossary. We need a
general sort-as provision for any context, e.g. reference entries. For
this, a deeper design change might be needed. Doing a glossary-
specific sort-as could preclude a general solution, repeating the
mistake with index-sort-as. Eliot is added as co-owner to work on the
broader aspects.

ACTION (Su-Laine, Eliot): consult with the Translation SC while
preparing the sort order proposal.

13013-13019: The Machine Industry SC has not been active and has lost
about half its membership, currently seeking more industry
involvement. These 8 items will be moved down in the list so that Jang
Graat can work them into a more straightforward form for the TC.

13020 will be the first item for us to address next week.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]